Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"I hate White Houses'


On Saturday we drove up to Washington, D.C. Sean was helping at the youth temple trip. He dropped the girls and I off at a Metro station, and we took the train to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. The girls absolutely loved it. The museum was celebrating the grand reopening, and they had people in period costumes, live music and a colonial band, complete with tri-cornered hats.

Anna and Elizabeth loved the exhibits. They got to see an R2D2 replica that traveled around the museum beeping and turning around. Kermit the Frog and Oscar the Grouch were also big hits, though the glass stairs leading out to the National Mall were a definite obstacle to our progress. Anna, terrified that she was going to fall through the glass, stood at the bottom and sobbed. When I took (grabbed) her hand and pulled her up the stairs, she clung to the rail screaming, "I'm going to die. I'm going to die." There is nothing like a little drama to add fun to the day. They probably have my picture posted at the museum under "really horrible parents who are not allowed to bring their children back." Lovely.

From there we walked over to the Washington Monument, making a pit stop (of course) at the street vendor for some cheap tee-shirts, a hot dog, a big pretzel, and some candy. Then things started to get ugly, or cold. It was about 30 degrees and there was a strong (and freezing) wind. We walked past the Treasury Department and up to the side of the White House. Proudly showing the girls the White House, I told them what it was and who lived there. Elizabeth looked at me and said "I hate white houses." Suffice it to say, we scooted over to the Metro and back to Sean, who was anxiously awaiting our return.

I absolutely adored Washington, D.C. I have learned some important lessons for traveling there again - strollers are a good thing, tour buses are an even better thing, and street vendors are totally cool whether you are 2 or 92. We are anxious to go back - with Sean this time, of course.

1 comment:

eileen said...

i LIVE in DC! (well actually just barely moved out to alexandria, but still very close). we must get together next time you are in the area. (becky fowles wickstrom is up here too)
i just got your blog info forwarded by kelsey. i'll send you an invite to my blog.
glad to see all is well with you. love your cute little girls!