Friday, April 17, 2009

Sean and Anna's First Loose Tooth

Anna woke up last Saturday morning at 3:00 screaming, "I have a little ball in my mouth! I have a little ball in my mouth!" Sean got up with her (bless his heart) and discovered that she had a loose tooth. Anna was so excited she couldn't sleep. The rest of us couldn't either since she laid there chattering about every book she's ever read about losing a tooth - it turns out she's read a LOT of them.

We just knew that her tooth would come out the next day. (But you know us, does anything ever happen that easily in my life? Ooo, I'm ruining the suspense.)

As excited as Anna was, Sean was easily twice as excited. He was positively giddy (in the manliest way possible). This may be Anna's first loose tooth, but it is also Sean's first loose tooth as a dad, and that comes with certain fatherly responsibilities. They sat down to pull it out.

Sean (in his happy I'm-a-dad-and-I'm-doing-dad-stuff voice): Sit still. I'm going to pull it out.

Anna (in her happy I'm-going-to-be-filthy-rich-after-the-tooth-fairy-comes voice): Okay, Dad.

***Tug

Anna (now not so happy): AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That hurts!

Sean (in a still positive but firm voice): Hold still.

Anna: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That really hurts!

Sean (in a not not-so-calm voice): Hold still.

Anna (running from the room): AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So, six days later, Anna's tooth has not loosened a bit. It is still in there. Sean has pulled out peroxide, tweezers, floss, needle-nose pliers (No, I'm not kidding). Now that I think about it, he's pretty much pulled out everything except her tooth. One side is completely loose, the other is not. Sean swears that if she'll just hold still while he really pulls and twists, it will come right out. Anna, who has the pain tolerance of an amoeba (I'm assuming that's like no tolerance at all), has steered clear of her dad for days. When he gets out his tool bag, she goes running with a terrified look on her face. And I can't say I blame her. Sean is in charge of the boy scouts for our ward now, and he's got some corresponding inner anxst/ferocity that he is trying to come to terms with. Who wants that coming near their mouth with pliers? (I love you, sweetheart)

Anna told me yesterday that she always thought that losing a tooth would be fun. Now she's knows that it is the most horrible thing in life. (Thought you'd all like a taste of Anna drama. Its a daily thing)

Ah, the trauma of young life. I haven't informed her that giving birth to her involved just a little more pain than her loose tooth.

I am tempted to sign her up for an ice hockey or boxing class. That thing would be out in no time. I should make corn on the cob for dinner. I could also "accidentally" elbow her in the mouth. Honestly, I think all of the above would be more humane than letting the tooth trauma continue.

2 comments:

Ciria said...

Missed your blogging! - At least she is excited about it actually coming out! Zoƫ was scared to death of losing a tooth!

Dan and Katie said...

I hope Anna gets lots of money from the tooth fairy for going through all of that trauma! You guys crack us up! We can't wait to see you this summer!