Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Playdate Gone Wrong . . . or Right

Since we are new to the area, Elizabeth and I were thrilled to go to the regularly scheduled church playgroup today. She hasn't been able to do a lot with friends, and has been looking forward to going for a couple of days. To make ourselves liked (and therefore invited again), we stopped at the grocery store and loaded up on fruit snacks, Oreos, juice boxes, and capri suns to share. Unfortunately, when we got to the church to meet everyone, nobody came. I understand that the week before Christmas is not a great time for a get-together, but Elizabeth does not, and she was ticked. (Besides, I really like Oreos and juice boxes, and now there are plenty for my late-night foraging).

So what is a mom to do?

Playland! All you have to do is buy some fast food (or not, if you're cheap and there are lots of people), and you have access to an enclosed play area, which is nice if you live where it is constantly rainy. Personally, the only downfall is that the play area is always strangely enticing to me, but you get strange looks when you are almost 30 and climbing up the slide. I wonder if you can buy a version to fit in my basement.

As you can tell, Elizabeth quickly recovered from her anger. Crown-shaped chicken nuggets and having a gigantic play area all to yourself usually have that effect.

Elizabeth found her happy place, and I found mine at the used car dealership on the way home. Would anybody else have been tempted to stop in and ask how much they wanted for the police car? Think of the possibilities.

3 comments:

Ciria said...

we would have been there- if it had been here -LOL! It looks like she was happy! I think I too would have to stop and ask about the police car-- too funny.

mdnaef said...

Very funny! Kathy told me about your blog. It will be great to be able to keep up with your family. Hope things are going well and you have a great Christmas!

Kelsey said...

The police car? I thought you would go for the blow up Santa! :)