completely kick my trash every time I do it with the kids? As you have noticed, it is only 33 pieces. They are each the size of a salad plate. I know what you are thinking. You are wrong. The cover picture of the smiling little boy in the cute overalls masks the true difficulty of the puzzle. It should have a picture of a bearded professor with owl glasses looking triumphantly over his long sought after defeat of the seemingly benign bear. Curses to you Disney, with your cuteness and your deceptively "simple" children's games.Yet Anna can quickly put together any puzzle I give her and does this one without a blink. Elizabeth, of course needs more help. As she looks to me with trust in her eyes, and says, "Where does this piece go, Mommy," I completely panic. If Anna is there, I can ask her to help her sister, which serves two purposes - Anna feels successful, and I don't look like a fool.
Unfortunately, Elizabeth wanted to put this puzzle together 5!! times yesterday morning. So I have a new theory of puzzle helping - "Where do you think it should go, Elizabeth?" I'm just encouraging independent thought, right?
So, is there a puzzle school for Mommies who cannot do adult puzzles and don't want to look completely incompetent in front of their kids? Should I be able to put this puzzle together in a certain amount of time (like under 10 minutes)? Does this represent a flaw in my education? OR Are puzzles worth my time? I mean who takes something apart just to put it back together? What kind of sadistic person came up with this idea in the first place? Does the mental benefit of putting together a puzzle really outweigh the fact that you are encouraging your child to destroy what they have created, over and over and over again? Perhaps the Winnie the Pooh puzzle should just go the way of all good and used toys . . .
P.S. Until I was eight, I thought that my old and missing toys were swallowed by the wall. How sad is that?

No comments:
Post a Comment