Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thank you, Captain Obvious

I think that being a Mom is the coolest thing ever. Some days are so rewarding you can hardly stand it. Other days make you appreciate those rewarding ones. I had one of those days today.

Clearly out of our minds today, Elizabeth and I decided to venture to the mall to scope out the after Christmas sales. Nothing seemed particularly enticing until we walked into the Disney Store. I don't care how old you are, that place is awesome. Elizabeth agreed, because I could not drag her out of there. She explored every toy, stuffed animal, and dress while I checked the sales racks :). She was so preoccupied by the various Mickey and Princess goods that she didn't realize she had to go to the bathroom until we were at the checkout, where she promptly started shrieking and dancing. I sprinted the length of the mall, carrying my charming child (who was yelling "I can't hold it any longer!"), only to discover at the public restroom that she really could not hold it any longer. Proud that this could not phase me, I pulled her into the bathroom where I promptly opened the newly-purchased pants from the Disney Store. TA-DA! The following discussion ensued:

Elizabeth: (indignantly) "Mom! I am not wearing dirty underwear!"

Me: "Yes, I know, but you can either wear your icky underwear or go without" (they were knit pants, for heaven's sake - It's gross, but you do what you have to do).

*****A quick aside - its illegal to leave your child alone in a public restroom while you purchase miniature panties sold eight stores down.

Elizabeth: (Loudly) "I want clean underwear NOW!!!"

Me: (calmly) "We don't have clean underwear. And we need to hurry. We have to go get Anna from school."

Me: (Not so calmly thinking) Where am I going to get clean underwear from? Do you see clean underwear racks in this bathroom? Am I supposed to keep them on my person? Do I not have enough of my own lumps without keeping a pair of underwear in my pocket?"

Elizabeth: (Louder) "I need clean underwear NOW!!!"

Me: "Sorry, sweetheart. We can get you clean underwear at home. "

Battle won, or at least stalled, we headed out to the car, racing across town and barely making it to Anna's school just in time to pick her up (late). When she got in the car, Elizabeth told her the entire story. Anna's response? "Um, Mom, you know that's gross. You can buy new underwear."

Me: (thinking) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Really? You don't just pick them off the clean underwear tree? Someone has cut a profit by selling clean underwear? AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Me: (speaking) Yes, I know, sweetheart, but we wanted to be in time to get you because we missed you so much.

P.S. Elizabeth got a bath, clean underwear, and clean pants immediately afterward. I am planning on taking my own bath, reading a book, and eating all the chocolate that Elizabeth hasn't found as soon as they go to bed. :)

3 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, you've gotta love it! I chuckled just imagining your girls and how they would deliver those comments. Of course -- Elizabeth wasn't talking before we moved but I tend to think of her as a miniature of Anna at times.

This is so typical of kids! I could see Autumn & Heidi saying the EXACT same things to me. And I love it -- Soggybritches and Captain Obvious. :)

Meg said...

Too funny!

Angela said...

This may be one blessing of having my little boy. He would have been pleased as punch to go with out underwear in cotton pants. In fact if it had been us I may have found out that he never even put the underpants on that I set out for him that morning. The little stinker. That’s his favorite thing he always tries to sneak past me. We do a daily check!