Sunday, February 1, 2009

Washing her mouth out with soap

So, our three-year-old has been having some kind of toddler PMS for the last week (or year). She has started stomping around when she is upset and retaliating in evil, underhanded ways when we won't let her do something. So last night when she got in trouble and then quietly went upstairs, we were concerned about what she was doing. The following conversation ensued:

Me: Anna, will you go upstairs and see what Elizabeth is doing?

Anna: I'm sure she's just making some more poison.

- silence -

Me: Excuse me? How does she make poison?

Anna: Oh, she's tried to poison me with soap in my water.

Me: You've drank water with soap in it?

Me (thinking): At least its only soap. Aren't the bubbles a dead giveaway?

Anna: Yes.

Me: How many times?

Me (thinking): You have got to be kidding me.

Anna: Four.

Me: Why did you drink it again after the first time she gave it to you?

Me (thinking): Anybody who didn't learn after the first time deserves the frothy bubbly mouth until they learn.

Anna: Well, she didn't tell me that there was soap in the water. She's very tricky, you know.

So, Elizabeth's dark side has been cropping up in interesting ways. I thought you couldn't go lower than the mullet. But, she has discovered a way to use her evil powers against her sister. When we asked her why she did it, she just laughed, and said "I didn't do it four times. I did it five." And I am pretty sure that it will happen again. Soon. Because, let's face it, its so funny that I'm tempted to do the same thing to Sean. I don't think that I am equipped to punish her for this yet. I will find the strength. I just need to work on my poker face first. I guess the lesson is that if Elizabeth ever offers you a beverage, you would probably be safer to wash your hand with it than to drink it.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

As a younger sister myself, I must confess... I once offered Kara a "dried tomato seed" (it was really from a HOT chile pepper). She totally fell for it, and her mouth was burning for hours. I feel really bad about it now, so I'm sure Elizabeth will eventually come around. :)

Dani said...

That is so funny! I love that she admits to the 5 times and not just the 4! Seriously, where do they come up with these things?!?

Angela said...

I want to hear what happens when you try it on Sean :)