Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Super Husband

Anna asked one of those questions the other day. I hate trying to answer those questions, and I feel like with Sean's work schedule that I end up doing the bulk of the parenting during the week. Sean happened to be home, so I steered Anna to her father.

Anna: Dad, why do boys like to see Barbie dolls with their clothes off?

Sean: Because boys like to see naked girls.

(May I take a short pause to point out that I would NEVER have said that. I would have come up with something much less direct and kind of confusing. For those of you who know Sean and I well, I'm sure that you can imagine the look on my face when he said that. I stared back and forth from him to Anna, shocked at his brazen statement, and ready to tackle him the minute Anna wasn't watching.)

Anna: Oh, that's gross.

Sean: Just remember that's why you shouldn't wear clothes that aren't modest. You don't want any boys to see your body.

Anna: Okay. I won't. Thanks, Dad.

Translation: Dad, you are awesome. I have learned more from you in ten seconds than even Torquemada could have gotten out of Mom in days.

(Okay, so I exaggerate - Anna never would have thought of Tomas Torquemada, but you get the point.)

And that, my friends, was the end of the conversation. I stand in awe of my husband, his candor, and his ability to provide just enough information to Anna to answer her question but not so much that both Anna and I were embarrassed. Unfortunately for him, from now on he is the go-to guy for all of those questions (under my careful supervision, of course - a little more description from him and I would have passed out on the floor).

4 comments:

Ciria said...

love those parenting skills! dads are just awesome - they make us squirm but they are awesome.

Meg said...

Great answer!

Heather said...

Good job, Sean! I think I would have gotten hung up on how does she know that boys like to see Barbies with their clothes off... When I read things like this it makes me pray my babies never grow up. Lost cause, I know.

Ed Yu said...

Hey Sean,

Found your site recently. Nice to know you're doing well.

My wife Meg keeps our family up to date..