Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Child?

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe. I mean, I love that my kids are growing up, but I have the strangest feelings when I talk with Anna or Elizabeth and it is like talking to a teenage girl (without the hormones, thank goodness). For example, I had the following conversation with Anna today:

Anna: Mom, guess what I want for my next birthday?

Me: What's that?

Me (thinking): Please say you want to take a trip to New York City with your mother. Please . . . Please . . .

Anna: Some clothes and an Ipod.

Me: Excuse me?

Me (thinking): EXCUSE ME!!!?????

Anna: Yes, I think I would like those.

Me: How do you even know what an ipod is?

Me (thinking): Can you even get Barney videos for an ipod? What is this world coming to? The kid is 5. I mean, what about toys? Polly Pockets?

Anna: I just know. I've known for a long time.

Me: Oh.

Me (thinking): There goes my vacation.

I mean seriously, where in the world does a five year old learn about Ipods? Does she even really know what she's talking about? Apparently she does. And she thinks that she should have one. I knew we should have sent her to another school. These kids at her school have the strangest ideas. So here is a current picture of Anna. If she has her way, the next time you see her she'll look similar, but with earbuds, a distant look on her fa
ce, and an annoyed expression that immediately appears every time you try to have a real life conversation with her.


Sigh. I'm thinking about donating her to an Amish community until she is 18. But look at that cute face . . . And my dilemma continues.

3 comments:

Dani said...

I LOVE IT!!! I was in Garrett's class yesterday and this little boy told me all about his ipod he got for Christmas and I was thinking all those same things in my head! Seriously...I don't even have an ipod...why would a 5 year-old need one? They are growing up too quickly! Let me know about that amish community...she and Garrett can be buddies there! :)

Dan and Katie said...

Hey Katy! Dan finally told me the web address to your blog. I will now be checking regularly! We miss you guys and are so excited to see you in Disneyland!

Ciria said...

Children grow up way to fast these days. I am just thinking of those polygamy camps down south, as long as I pull them out before 14 I think it may work.