Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Too heavy for the pregnant lady

At church on Sunday, I went to go drag in my own metal folding chair. Since I am now visibly pregnant, a woman jumped up, declaring, "You can't bring in your own chair; you're pregnant!"

Yikes! Do you know what a folding chair weighs? 10 pounds. If you're dragging it? Probably about 2 pounds. So I have been thinking about all the other things that I shouldn't be lifting.
- Elizabeth
- a bag of flour
- more than one can of beans
- my bag
- books
- any chairs
- toys (you know, the heavy ones)
- baskets of laundry
- dishes
- a 1980's Walkman

I can see it now . . .

Sean: "Honey, will you hand me that wrench?"

Me: "Sorry. Too heavy for the pregnant lady."

Anna: "Mom, can you get me a cup from the top shelf."

Me: "Sorry. Too high for the pregnant lady."

Elizabeth: "Mommy, can you make me lunch?"

Me: "Sorry. Too much exertion for the pregnant lady."

Me (Thinking): "I should really clean something up."

Me: "Sorry. Too icky for the pregnant lady."

So, as appealing as this is beginning to sound, I think I should stick to a more practical routine of "if it hurts, don't do it." Unfortunately, this includes walking on occasion. Perhaps I need to reconsider my thinking. I know that pregnancy is different for everyone, and that some women cannot lift things. But there are so many "pregnancy precautions" that always make my OB/Gyn laugh. You know that ones. Everyone has their own. So far I have been instructed to not lift anything; to "Sit Down! for heaven's sake"; to give my children Benadryl so I don't have to exert myself on the plane; to "Don't eat Chinese Food!" (what, pray tell, do you think Chinese women eat when they are pregnant?).

Ah, so instead I'm going to Disneyland with the family. After being manhandled through security in the airport, I will probably walk (waddle), lift, run (waddle faster), eat, and enjoy myself. I might even pull a chair over to sit on. Scandalous.

4 comments:

Ciria said...

As a naive 19 year old girl I would go over to my sister's house and clean her bathroom - because she was pregnant and could not smell the fumes. I have since had three children and cleaned my own bathrooms and as far as I can tell there have been no lasting affects on the children. I could be wrong you've met them.

katyn said...

I would judge your children unscathed from the cleaning chemicals. I do, however, like your sister's thinking.

Angela said...

Disneyland! Sounds like fun and I am sure you will get many of those helpful warnings while you’re on your trip. People can be so silly.

Meg said...

Makes me laugh! If only, huh? :) Disneyland sounds so fun!